Denture repair may be necessary if wearing your dentures becomes uncomfortable. Read on to learn more about professional dental repair from a dentist. It is important to keep your dentures in good working order to function correctly and stay comfortable in your mouth. Denture malfunction or damage indicates a need for repairs, which raises the issue of how long it will take to repair the dentures. It helps to know what the denture is made from and what repairs typically entail before visiting the dentist for the process.
An overview of denture repair
Dentures are a removable dental device that is used to replace lost teeth. Acrylic resin or porcelain is often used to make the teeth, while the gum base is usually fabricated from nylon polymer or acrylic resin.
To produce dentures, dentists take an imprint of the patient’s gums to create a mold. Subsequently, the mold is turned into a wax replica, then tested in the mouth to ensure a snug fit. If the fit is satisfactory, the dentist will forward the impressions and molds to a dental lab, where the technicians will make the dentures out of resin, porcelain, or nylon polymer.
Why denture repairs may be necessary
Modern dentures have undergone significant improvements and are less delicate and damage-prone to damage than traditional dentures. These days, dentures are composed of sturdy materials that can endure long years of use. Factors that cause denture damage include:
- Wear and tear: Dentures can get damaged from continuous use over several years. The materials that comprise dentures begin to wear down due to regular use from eating, cleaning, and temperature fluctuations
- Dropping the dentures: Accidentally dropping dentures is the major cause of damage. The majority of the dropping happens when the dentures are removed for cleaning before sleeping
- Incorrect fit: The dentures may cease fitting properly. This is not always a sign of damage, but it needs a denture repair to fit properly again
Types of denture repairs
Each fix is relevant to the issue at hand. It might generally take anything from 24 hours to two weeks to complete these repairs.
- Relining dentures: This entails resurfacing the denture portion that sits over the gums to improve its fit. It could also increase the wearer’s comfort. To fix a crack or resurface the gum region, the dental professional will remove the old material on the denture and mold fresh material onto it
- Adjustment: This is a simple repair to adjust the dentures and prevent pain from rubbing or pinching
- Denture rebase: This repair involves removing the replacement teeth to re-create the pink acrylic gums. The dentures’ original teeth will be reattached to a new foundation
Do you need denture repair?
Denture repair may be required if your dentures do not fit properly or are unpleasant to wear. Different types of repairs may be required depending on the type of damage. The most common denture problems are a damaged tooth and denture breakage. If your dentures break, the first thing you should do is contact a dentist. Get in touch with our dental office today.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Denture Repair in Roswell, GA.